Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Musings

Ok, first off, to my audience of one, I apologize, I have been a major slacker in the blogging arena. I have, however, been working away on a cute little number. The original hope was for this dress to be a summer dress, but ah, as you can see, its now going to be a fall dress.



Its not complete however. I haven't attached the sleeves or finished the hem. Its a little hard to tell in the picture, but it has pockets!!! Gloriously large pockets! The red strips are the pocket detail. I also added red fabric to the neckline. The original pattern called for a much higher neckline. I brought the neckline down by about 5 inches, which changed the way in which I was able to finish the hem of the neckline. I cut a 3 inch thick strip of red fabric and attached it much in the same way you attach bias tape. I had to notch the inside of the hem in order to be able to sew on the curves. I did have a minor incident (GASP) where I accidentally cut the front of the dress... luckily this happened in class and our instructor, Alicia, was there to the rescue.



Here's a close up of the fabric. I purchased it at Britex!


Wouldn't this pattern make a great tattoo? hmm..
Oh and here is a snippet of my fabric stash, all from Quilted Angel. I especially like the snowbunny pinups.




And now to digress, last night, after watching the Town Hall Prez debate, we watched an excellent, excellent, flick - "Control." Its based on the book written by Debbie Curtis, Ian Curtis's wife. For those not schooled in post-punk/New Wave era music, Ian Curtis was the lead singer of the band, Joy Division. The movie was beautiful. You know when something hurts its so beautiful? I had one of those moments.
It was directed by Anton Corbijin, who has directed all of Depeche Mode's music videos. Side Note: If you haven't seen any Depeche Mode videos, I highly recommend You Tubing "Personal Jesus," one of their more popular songs/videos.

This movie will definitely be joining our collection in the near future.

3 comments:

Rose said...

your audience appreciates the awesome update. i love that fabric, and it would be a sweet tat. the black and red is so cute together!

Unknown said...

Jess, I love your blog! How did you and Rose become so creative and talented?

Rose said...

HI J! just tagged you in a meme.

see my blog for details :)